Many real estate agents are identified by their success in getting homes sold in a timely manner and for the highest possible price.
These agents get from “Just Listed” to “Just Sold” by:
- Pricing the home correctly
- Knowing the local real estate market
- Marketing the home effectively, and
- Understanding and utilizing information about homebuyers.
Here are some valuable homebuyer statistics compiled by the National Association of Realtors as of March 2016:
- How buyers search for properties – information sources used in home search: 89 percent of homebuyers use the Internet to search for their dream home and 87 percent enlist the services of a real estate agent thereafter. Bottom line, 9 out of 10 homebuyers begin their search for a home to buy online.
The most popular home search sites are: Zillow (36 million monthly visitors), Trulia (23 million monthly visitors), Yahoo Homes (20 million monthly visitors) and Realtor.com (18 million monthly visitors).
There are many other real estate search sites, and the more your home is displayed, the better.
Successful agents make optimal use of home search websites so that your home is found when homebuyers are searching for homes online.
- What homebuyers like – what they find most useful in their search: 87 percent of homebuyers like home photos and 84 percent believe detailed property information is very useful. Homebuyers like spending a good amount of time online looking at photos and reading property information.
Successful agents utilize professional real estate photography and compelling, comprehensive property descriptions to make their listings stand out.
- Where buyers come from – where buyers found the homes they actually purchased: 44 percent of the homes that buyers actually purchased came from the Internet and 33 percent from real estate agents.
While newspapers, magazines, sellers, friends and relatives played a role in helping buyers find homes, the Internet and real estate agents accounted for 77 percent of the home sales.
Successful agents effectively allocate their advertising and marketing dollars and resources to find a buyer for your property.
While I have used the term “successful agents” above, I want to emphasize that an agent’s success is really your success.
Larry Stoller is a real estate consultant and advertising executive who loves living in Bluffton and helping real estate agents and sellers get homes sold.