Being prepared is the best way to reduce or eliminate the stress of selling you home.
Wouldn’t it be wonderful to sell your home and get the price you want without your life being turned upside down?
While there will always be uncertainties in life, and even some bumps along the road from “For sale” to “Just sold,” being well prepared will lessen or prevent those surprises and stressors.
Planning ahead begins with hiring the best real estate agent to work for you and with you. This experienced professional will assist you in pricing your home, getting your home ready for sale and guiding you through the stages of a successful sale.
Here are some suggestions for preparing for the sale of your home:
- Carefully review the reasons why you want to sell your home, to be sure you really do want to sell. Then list your selling and buying (or renting) expectations. Interview a few agents and discuss your plans with them. If your expectations are too far apart and you can’t compromise, you might not be ready to sell.
- Prepare to deal with change. Selling your home can be emotional, causing you worry about how your life will change when you leave one place and move to another. But change can be good, and you have the steering wheel, so discuss those changes and how you will prepare yourself to embrace and enjoy them.
- Prepare to have your home marketed as a product. Sellers often need to de-clutter and remove personal items from the house (e.g., diplomas, photos, memorabilia, knick-knacks, furniture, etc.).
As this process is completed, it makes your home more appealing to prospective buyers. I would suggest that you use a home stager.
Here are some additional thoughts about being stress-free while you are selling your home:
- Think about how carefree and enjoyable your new lifestyle in your new home will be.
- Think about how right-sizing will make your life easier so you can do things you like to do.
- Think about the future and imagine all the wonderful memories you will be making in your new home.
Larry Stoller is a real estate consultant and advertising executive who loves living in Bluffton and helping real estate agents and sellers get homes sold.