- The Big Ten on Hilton Head has rescheduled the 2017 annual conference picnic to 4 p.m. Oct. 8 at Indigo Hall in Indigo Run Plantation. All Big Ten alumni, supporters, fans and friends are invited to attend and wear their school colors.
Cost is $25 per person, children 12 and under are free. The Hilton Head Big Ten conference group holds annual picnics and golf outings.
Sally Mason, Ph.D., President of the University of Iowa, 2007-2015, and President, Big 10 Council of Presidents & Chancellors, 2012-2015, will give a Big Ten conference update.
Registration deadline is Oct. 6. Registration forms and information are available by emailing BIG10onHH @gmail.com.
- The Hilton Head Island Council, Navy League of the United States will host its annual Bill Baker Memorial Golf Tournament Oct. 13 at the Legend’s Golf Course on Parris Island.
This year’s tournament will also commemorate the 242nd birthday of the U.S. Navy, founded in 1775.
Registration and range begins at 8 a.m. with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. Lunch and awards will follow.
The cost is $75 per golfer or $275 per foursome. Anyone can sponsor a sailor or Marine from the local installations to play for $50, whether you play or not.
Proceeds go to support Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society, Naval Sea Cadets and JROTC Scholarships.
The tournament named for Bill Baker, a retired Navy captain, who served twice as the Council president and was one of the founders of the island’s Veteran’s Memorial Park who led the effort to bring the “Poppies” statue to the park.
For more information, visit www.hiltonheadnavyleague.com.
- The eighth annual Drive for a Cure golf tournament will be held at the Country Club of Hilton Head Oct. 14.
In addition to the typical round of golf, participants can step into a golf simulator for a Closest to the Pin competition on Hole #7 at the famed Harbour Town Golf Links, try their luck at a $10,000 putting challenge and try to score a Hole in One for a new BMW.
An on-line auction begins Oct. 8, runs through the golf event, and concludes on Oct. 15.
To register for the golf tournament or preview all items available for bid, visit www.nmdfoundation.org.
- The annual Tiger Bass Race has been rescheduled for Oct. 28 at Hampton Lake. Registration begins at 8 a.m.
The event includes a one mile fun run or walk, a 5K and a 12K.
Entry fees range from $15 for the fun run to $40 for the 12K. Youth discounts are available. Proceeds will benefit Memory Matters and River Ridge Academy.
For more information and to register online, visit www.tigerbassrace.com.
- Haig Point, on Daufuskie Island, will host its inaugural Patriot Day Golf Tournament, part of a national fundraiser that directly supports our troops, on Oct. 30.
A portion of every entry fee will benefit Folds of Honor Foundation, an organization that provides post-secondary educational scholarships for children and spouses of military service men and women killed or disabled while serving our nation.
The tournament, a four-person scramble format with hole contests, will begin with registration and practice at 11:30 a.m. and a shotgun start at 1 p.m.
The event fee is $125 for members of Haig Point and $200 for non-members.
Entry to the tournament includes a boxed lunch, golf fees, prizes, a donation to Folds of Honor Foundation and awards reception.
For more information, contact Morton at CMorton@HaigPoint.com. To sign up as an individual or a foursome, call the Haig Point Golf Shop or visit www.haig point.com/event/patriotgolfday.