Retailers, restaurants and service businesses are changing the commercial landscape in Bluffton and Hilton Head. Here’s the latest in new construction, renovations, relocations, grand openings and closings.
- eviCore. This managed healthcare benefits company announced plans early last month for a $1.6 million expansion at its headquarters in Bluffton. The firm, formerly known as CareCore National, also plans to add 35 new employees to its existing workforce of 400 at Buckwalter Place. eviCore moved to Bluffton in 2006, and signed a five-year lease extension last spring.
- Mikkelson Law Firm LLC has moved to a new building in Old Town Bluffton, at 214 Bluffton Rd. The team includes four attorneys, Ryan Mikkelson, Tiffany Mikkelson, Ashley Adams Brown, and Jacquelyn Bowler, along with a support staff.
- Hilton Head Social Bakery. Fresh breads, pastries and desserts are now on the menu at this newly opened eatery at Shelter Cove Harbour. Patrons can enjoy indoor or outdoor seating while munching on American-style baked goods with a French twist, all made on-site daily. Chef Philippe Feret turns out croissants, tarts, crepes and more.
- Pure Barre. This health and fitness franchise, which celebrated its second anniversary Nov. 7 at its Hilton Head location, announced plans to build a second studio at Belfair Village in Bluffton early next year. Construction will begin soon. Pure Barre offers low-impact full-body workouts for men and women.
- Island Car Wash. This longtime automotive service establishment off U.S. 278 in Bluffton reopened Nov. 7 after being closed since August for renovations. The oil and detail space has been replaced and expanded to accommodate full-service work.
- Chart House. This upscale restaurant on Hudson Road with sunset views of Skull Creek on Hilton Head has been closed “temporarily” since Oct. 5 prior to the arrival of Hurricane Matthew. It has not announced plans to reopen.
A number of grand openings and ribbon-cutting ceremonies have been held recently. Among them are:
Oct. 21: Calhoun’s (restaurant and bar) in the Bluffton Promenade. This “proper Southern tavern” serves classic cocktails and Lowcountry fare. Co-owner Jon Rinaldi formerly owned Vineyard 55 on Calhoun Street.
Nov. 11: Caretta Coffee Co. (coffee cafe). 101 C Pope Ave. in Coligny Plaza (formerly Java Joe’s location), Hilton Head
Nov. 15: The North Face (clothing store). 1414 Fording Island Rd., Suite A-132 in Tanger 2 Outlet, Bluffton
Nov. 17: Too Belles Boutique (women’s clothing). 890 William Hilton Pkwy., Suite 82 in Fresh Market Shoppes, Hilton Head
Nov. 18: Rocket Fizz (candy store). 40 Shelter Cove Lane, Suite 183 in Shelter Cove Towne Centre, Hilton Head
Nov. 18: Birdie James (clothing store). 28 Shelter Cove Lane, Suite 109 in Shelter Cove Towne Centre, Hilton Head
Have Bluffton or Hilton Head business news (new construction, relocations, expansions, openings, ownership changes, etc.) to share? Send information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dean Rowland is a veteran senior editor and freelance writer.