Though business sometimes seems to wane during the winter season, that is not the case in the Lowcountry this year. The economy seems robust, with positive changes occurring daily.
Here’s the latest in new construction, renovations, relocations, planned projects, commercial transactions, grand openings and closings.
- Marriott Courtyard, 81 Pope Ave., Hilton Head. The Heritage Plaza revitalization project where the Sage Room restaurant has stayed open will be close neighbors to this planned 115-room, six-story signature hotel on the island’s south end. Developed by Southeastern Development Associates, the hotel across the street from Coligny Plaza plans to open in September 2019.
- Burnt Church Distillery, 120 Bluffton Road, Bluffton. Owner Billy Watterson plans to open a 20,000-square-foot tasting room for craft whiskey made onsite. He plans to open in the spring of 2020.
- Now We’re Talking, 1536 Fording Island Road (Moss Creek Village), Bluffton. This therapy service pediatric clinic plans to open in February. Speech, occupational, physical and other therapies will be available from birth to age 18.
- D.R. Horton Homes. This national homebuilder is planning to construct 100 duplex and single-family homes in the University Park neighborhood near Hardeeville. Prices for the three-, four- and five-bedroom homes will begin in the low $200,000s.
- Omni Oceanfront Resort, 23 Ocean Lane, Hilton Head. The award-winning complex is planning to construct a new oceanfront bar with 24 seats and a spa, all with direct access to the beach.
Grand openings, ribbon cuttings and closings:
- SERG Catering and Special Events, 12 Capital Drive, Hilton Head. The most recent addition to the SERG enterprise opened with a ribbon-cutting Dec. 18, attended by staff, SERG partners and community members. The location is also the site of the SERG Takeout Kitchen.
- Atlantic Bedding & Furniture, 1541 Fording Island Road. (Moss Creek Village), Suite 6, Bluffton, Dec. 1. This Charleston-based retailer with four other locations in the Lowcountry offers collections in bedrooms, living rooms, dining rooms, entertainment and more.
- North Island Medical, 157 William Hilton Pkwy. Hilton Head. This facility now provides urgent and primary care.
- Kroger Fuel Center, 115 Innovation Drive, Bluffton. A new gas station opened just off Buckwalter Parkway in November in advance of a super Kroger grocery store being constructed next year at the same location.
- Thomasville Furniture, 95 Baylor Drive, Bluffton. This local showroom gallery has closed. The North Carolina-based parent company, Heritage Home Group, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection last July. Many stores in the organization have closed in recent months.
- Darren Clarke’s Tavern, 8 Executive Park Road, Hilton Head. This gastropub has closed. A Facebook post in December blamed a burst pipe for the closure. However, a later Associated Press article stated a lawsuit has been filed by Synovus Bank that the owners owe $2.5 million toward its mortgage.
Have Bluffton or Hilton Head business news (new construction relocations, expansions, openings, ownership changes, etc.) to share? Send information to Dean Rowland at firstname.lastname@example.org.