Retailers, restaurants and service businesses are constantly changing and enhancing the landscape in Bluffton and Hilton Head Island.
Here’s the latest in new construction, renovations, relocations, planned projects, commercial transactions, grand openings and closings.
- Bluffton Brau Haus, 68 Bluffton Road, Bluffton. Brothers Alfred and Volker Kettering will be opening their German-inspired restaurant in September at the site of the former Original 46 Gastropub, which closed earlier this year.
They plan to offer a full bar that seats 20, a dining room that will seat upwards of 75, and enclosed outside seating for up to 50 guests. Initially, Brau Haus will serve dinner from 4 p.m.
“In Germany, these types of restaurants are a gathering place for friends and neighbors to meet up and have a bite to eat, drink, shoot the breeze and talk about the gossip and just camaraderie,” Volker said. “We are hoping to build that kind of atmosphere.”
Alfred is also the owner and head chef at Alfred’s Restaurant on William Hilton Parkway on Hilton Head Island, just outside Palmetto Dunes Ocean Resort.
- Hilton Head Ballroom Dance Studio, 1300 Fording Island Road, Bluffton. Armando Aseneta and Sandro Virag recently opened their new independent studio at Seaquins Ballroom, where the Fred Astaire Dance Studio had been located.
The duo has been offering personalized dance instruction on Hilton Head Island and in Bluffton for 15 years, as well as private lessons, group classes, social parties, competitive ballroom dance and wedding dances.
- Powerhouse Gym, 1530 Fording Island Road, Bluffton. Starting this month, the gym will be open 24/7 for all-day and all-night access for members.
The 22,000-square-foot gym offers strength equipment and cardio machines, personal training and group exercise classes, along with free weights, a smoothie bar, private bathrooms with showers, and a supplement store.
Grand openings, ribbon cuttings, closings:
- Southern Spice Deli and Catering, 240 Mead Road, Hardeeville, June 28. Owner Lisa Cappano, who has been in the hospitality business for many years, said at the grand opening, “I had no idea that so many people would come out for this, for me, today. After doing this so long for other restaurants, to have this place and call it my own, is overwhelming.”
- Latitude Margaritaville Hilton Head, U.S. 278, Hardeeville, June 30. Minto Communities USA and Margaritaville Holdings debuted nine fully furnished model homes at a six-hour celebration with live music, food and giveaways.
“There is nothing else like Latitude Margaritaville,” said Minto division president William Bullock. “This is a brand-new concept that is redefining active adult living, and interest has been phenomenal.”
Phase One of the Jimmy Buffet lifestyle-inspired community features 203 lots as part of the total 3,000 homes planned amid bountiful amenities.
- Synovus Bank, 3 Belfair Village Drive, Bluffton, July 11. This Georgia-chartered bank with 250 locations in the Southeast changed its name from NBSC. It offers commercial and retail banking, and investment and mortgage services.
- Bluffton Aesthetics, 3 Plantation Park Drive, Bluffton, July 23. This new service, owned and operated by Ingrid Nivens, provides professional aesthetic skin care and laser-based, nonsurgical treatments. Services include laser hair removal, intense pulsed light treatments, tattoo removal and vaginal rejuvenation.
The facility is co-located with her husband’s medical clinic, Spine Medicine. She has worked with Dr. Charles Nivens for 17 years.
- Cinemark Bluffton, 106 Buckwalter Parkway, Bluffton, July 25. A ribbon-cutting and reception was held to mark the completion of a renovation of this multi-screen movie theater in Berkeley Place. A new addition is electric-powered luxury recliners, complete with seat warmers.
Have Bluffton or Hilton Head Island business news (new construction relocations, expansions, openings, ownership changes, etc.) to share? Send information to Dean Rowland at email@example.com.
Lowcountry resident Dean Rowland is a veteran senior editor and freelance writer.