- The Lowcountry S.C. Lyme Disease Support Group will meet at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 14 at the Just Be Centre, 159 State St., Bluffton.
The group has been formed for the support of those who are currently fighting Lyme Disease, those who are in remission and for their families and caregivers.
Each meeting features a guest speaker who will focus on alternative methods to treating Lyme Disease.
For more information, email LowcountryLyme@yahoo.com.
- “How dense are you? What you should know about dense breasts” will be presented by Beaufort Memorial Hospital at 5 p.m. Sept. 14 at the Lakehouse in Sun City. A welcome reception will begin at 4:30 p.m. The event is free and open to the public, but registration is required.
Nearly 50 percent of women have dense breasts and one in four is considered to be at high risk for breast cancer. In addition, dense breasts make cancer harder to detect.
Beaufort Memorial board-certified radiologist Eric Billig, M.D., board-certified oncologist Majd Chahin, M.D. and breast nurse navigator Amy Hane, R.N., CBCN, will discuss what having dense breasts means and how new technology is helping.
For more information and to register, call 843-522-5585.
- ComForCare Home Care will present a free educational seminar regarding caregiver stress at 10:30 a.m. Sept. 15 at the Senior Center, 70 Shelter Cove Lane, Hilton Head Island.
Presented by ComForCare RNs , “Caring for the Caregiver” will provide strategies to offset caregiver stress and burnout and offer a review of funding options available for caregiver respite relief grants.
This event is relevant to anyone who takes care of a loved one.
Space is limited so RSVP by Sept. 13 to 843-785-6444. Light snacks and drinks will be provided.
- A 10-week Brain Boosters class will be held from 3:15 to 5 p.m. every Tuesday, beginning Sept. 15, at Memory Matters, 117 William Hilton Pkwy.
The class is appropriate for anyone who has concerns about brain function and memory decline. A free memory screening is offered for participants.
For more information and to register, call 843-842-6688 or email cathee@ memory-matters.org. Space is limited.
- “Seasons of Life,” the 12th annual gala of the Pregnancy Center and Clinic of the Lowcountry, will be held at 6 p.m. Oct. 1 at Sea Pines Country Club.
Guest stars will be Al and Lisa Robertson of “Duck Dynasty” fame. The evening will begin with a private cocktail reception from 5:30 to 6 p.m. for patrons to meet the Robertsons, and receive an autographed copy of their book, “A New Season.”
Cost is $75 per person and includes dinner, live auction and entertainment. Deadline to register is Sept. 22. For more information, call 843-689-2222, Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The Bluffton Jasper County Volunteers in Medicine (BJVIM) is seeking trained mental health specialists to volunteer their time at the Bluffton and Ridgeland clinics.
Dr. Helene Stoller, a 25-year psychologist is the only mental health professional on staff at BJVIM. She spends four hours a week meeting with patient and doctors. With more than 2,500 patients at BJVIM, having only one mental health provider represents a gap in services.
Mental health specialists who are interested in volunteering their time are encouraged to call Pam Toney at 843-706-7090, ext 104.