Happy holidays, dear clients and readers.
I have no idea where this year has gone. It is terrifying that each day we age. We need to keep maintaining our looks to preserve our age.
This year, I concentrated my articles on topics that would help us stay looking young without a lot of time and money.
I am going to recap the important topics that we all need to keep in mind for the upcoming New Year to assist in slowing the aging process.
- To age gracefully, we need to have a youthful haircut and color. Do not give in to letting your hair go gray or cut your hair severely to accentuate the fine lines and wrinkles.
- Balayage is a very graceful way to have your hair colored in order to allow the growing out process without being a slave to our hair color and salon. Balayage is a hair painting technique that blends the color with the gray. There is no harsh line as the new growth comes in.
- Perms are making a comeback. The old 1980’s perm is not what I mean. Large waves that are left to air dry with a creamy product are very popular and are easy to care for. The less you do to permed hair, the better it looks.
- It is so important to care for your hair, especially if it has been chemically treated. The correct shampoo and conditioner is so important. Just because it says “for color treated hair” on the label doesn’t mean that it’s good for the hair.
Less expensive products will strip your color, which is more costly. Salon products have much better ingredients in them. That is why they are more expensive.
The less expensive products are filled with waxes and oils to make the hair feel better, but they really just build up on the hair. Small amounts of good products are much better than a lot of something inexpensive. The saying that “you get what you pay for” is so true.
- Hair products are a must, especially in this climate. Mousse is for volume. Gel is for hold. Styling creams are for frizz and curl definition. Oils are a stronger product for naturally curly or permed hair. Powder products are for volume and keeping hair from getting oily.
- Makeup on more mature women needs to be less than you might expect. Lighter lip colors and less on the eyes is the best. Micro fine face powder is essential for making the skin look flawless and will not accentuate the wrinkles.
- Your haircut should be in the shape of an upside-down triangle, drawing attention to the eyes and cheeks instead of the jowls and chin. This is much more youthful.
All of the above tips will definitely help us stay young looking for a longer time.
Joy Ross is owner of Style It Salon in Old Town Bluffton. www.styleitsalon.com